Workshops / Seminars
A unique workshop for K-12 students that teaches the new nature inspired methodologies and
principles for Systems/Solutions Design Thinking and the Art of Sustainable Innovation, the much needed “STEM Plus” skillsets for the 21st century!
STEM Plus Workshop: Learning to be an Innovator
An Overview of STEM Plus Workshop – Learning to be an Innovator
Workshop Need: From the 18th century there have only been 5 major real waves of innovation – like the steam engine, electricity, electronics, digital networks, etc. It is predicted that the sixth wave of innovation would come from the fields like Biomimicry / Green Chemistry / Industrial Ecology / Sustainability, etc. Several industries have already started to adopt these new areas and are striving to become the next generation leaders. Higher education institutions have started to offer programs in these areas as well. However, in the K-12 education space there is a huge vacuum and it is this generation that would be going to the workforce around 2020. It has become extremely crucial to start teaching these new skillsets to the current K-12 students, so they can emerge as our next generation innovators. These areas are called as “STEM Plus” skillsets. (* STEM – Science Technology Engineering Mathematics)
Workshop Description: This workshop falls under the STEM Plus category. It introduces students to Biomimicry- the new method of innovation, and clearly explains how and why industries are adopting it. It also introduces to Green Chemistry and Industrial designing. The workshop will be structured in four formats – lectures, discussion seminars, hands-on activities, and presentations. Students will work in teams and will be encouraged to debate about the scientific concepts and observations. Students will be introduced to the Solutions Development Life Cycle.
Skills gained by students at end of course:
- Understanding the responsibilities when creating a solution or product
- Understanding of the Solutions Development Life Cycle that incorporates Natures Principle of Integrated Systems Process
- Understanding of basic Economics – GDP, Economic growth factors, etc.
- Gain confidence to apply their academic knowledge gained at school into creating real life solutions
- Use the latest technology as a tool throughout the workshop
- Understanding of Biomimicry, the new nature inspired methodology and principles for rethinking design strategies
- Understanding of Green Chemistry and Material Science
- Understanding of Industrial Designing
- Team work and collaboration skills
- Argumentation skills
- Presentation skills
- Gain exposure to the “STEM Plus” skillsets required to proceed in the path of sustainable innovation
Workshop Duration: One week – 5 days – 9 AM to 3 PM
The structure for the days will have 4 formats
– lectures, discussion seminars, hands-on activities, and student presentations
Day 1 – Biomimicry
Day 2 – Green Chemistry
Day 3 – Industrial Designing
Day 4 – Solutions Development Life Cycle
Day 5 – Learning to Implement Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the Solutions Development Life Cycle which will incorporate the knowledge and results of the activities from the past 4 days, and each team will be presenting their designs at the end.
We can teach this workshop as an after-school enrichment, broken down into multiple smaller sessions.
Total number of students in one class: 25 students per class
Recommended Age groups:
– Upper Elementary
– Middle School
– High School
Prerequisites for students: Must have keen interest in Science and Mathematics, and be an active participant and positive team player. (All materials for hands-on activities and laptops for team work and presentation will be provided) (Students could bring their own laptops if they prefer, but it is not required)
Cost per student:
All fees to be made payable to “Green Kids Now”.
One Week Full Time: $400 + materials fee, per student
Smaller sessions of 1 hr:30 mins duration: $20 + materials fee, per student per session
Contact Us: info(at)greenkidsnow.org